Our History

Wesley Uniting Church Box Hill 1886

The first Wesleyan Methodist service was held in the Box Hill centre in the Barkly Hall, on 13th May 1883.

Tenders were called for what is now known as Oxford Hall (formerly known as the The Methodist Church in Station Street and later The Station Street Church ) on 17th November 1885, and the foundation stone was laid on 11th February 1886. The Methodist Church in Station Street was opened on 6th June 1886. The first church service was held on 13th June 1886. Box Hill became an independent circuit in 1889.

In 1926 a new church building, now know as the Main Sanctuary ( formerly known as The Oxford Street Church ), was built immediately to the west to replace the earlier building. Mr George Blood, a dairy farmer, was the first church steward and he laid the Foundation Stone of the new church in Oxford Street on 19th June 1925. The Oxford Street Church was opened at 3 pm on Saturday 13th February 1926 and the first portion of the service was held in the open air conducted by Revd. J. E. Warren from the church steps.

In 1929 Henry ‘Father’ Willis organ was installed in The Oxford Street Church building where it proudly resides till this day.

Rejoice Hall (formerly known as Primary Hall) and the Church Vestry were built in 1956.
The Foyer, the single storey section of building connecting Oxford Hall and the Main Sanctuary, was also built in the same year.

In the early 1960s further improvements were made according to the needs of the Church. Wesley Hall and Fellowship Hall were officially opened on 20th August 1961 by Revd. G. D. Brimacombe.
The Manse was completed in 1961.

Box Hill Methodist Church was renamed Wesley Uniting Church Box Hill in 1977 following the formation of the Uniting Church in Australia.

In 2017 the Church began a digitalisation and upgrading programme to bring it in line with the 21st century.

Related Topics